Saturday, February 23, 2013

Basin to Beach: 2km Ocean Swim

The seas were absolutely huge this morning. There was no way that we'd be heading out into the ocean for this swim. It was an ocean swim organisers nightmare.

Fortunately Belmore Basin provides a good, reasonably sheltered harbour swim. All the other ocean swim around Sydney were cancelled due to the seas.

Three laps, totalling around 1.7km was the end result. My goal for this race was to be totally under control  Go out easy, swim my own race and have no breathing or panic issues.

It was a deep water start via a jump off the wooden pier near the restaurants. Mmm, decision here, googles on before or after the jump. I went for after, probably the wrong choice. Trying to get them on and the gun went off.

I was really happy with my swim. In the Australia Day Aquathon I was mowed down by the 30-35 male wave behind me. In this swim it was the females. They touched just as much but it was much softer, not straight over you.

No comments: