Sunday, March 10, 2013

Wollongong Olympic Distance Triathlon

10 March 2013

Normally the day before a race I don't do any training. As this was only a B race for me I decided to go out and have a nice easy relating 6-8km run. Many people say that this can loosen you up for the race. On this occasion: BAD MISTAKE

My left knee starting getting a bit tight about 5km into the run, so I cut to run/walking. By the time I got home it was quite sore. On the outside of the knee.

I was really unimpressed with this as I was looking forward to Wollongong and have Mooloolaba next week. A decision had to be made. Run tomorrow or not.

In the end the call was, no run. I did the swim and the bike and then pulled out. Shame as I was having fun. I made the call before the race and I'm sure it was the right one. I didn't want to risk trying to run, not finishing this event and injuring myself and not being able to compete at Mooloolaba.

The Wollongong Triathlon "TriTheGong" was another of the Elite Energy triathlons. Again well organised, though by the time the women were heading off in the sprint waves later in the day they were running quite a bit late.

This was the first time I had to set up transition in the dark, and with very little lighting. Next time I'll put a torch in my transition bag. It seems to have everything else.

It was a wetsuit swim and right on 1.5km by my Garmin (for what that's worth in measuring swim lengths). The course was a M shape, heading to the northern breakwall back almost to the beach and back to the southern breakwall. In a flash it was over. Ha, ha. Actually it was my best swim. No issues, felt strong.

On to the bike my leg felt sore but ok. Three laps and really only one hill on the out and one on the way back in each of the loops. I still love it when I overtake people on time trial bikes. I thought it was a bit strange where they had the turnaround at Belmore Basin. The round about 100 metres up the road would have been perfect. I guess it was a road closure issue.

For a few long seconds I was very tempted to run but I reminded myself that I had made the decision. I found an official and gave them my timer so I could not change my mind. The DNF hurt, but not as much as my knee.

Later in the day Rochelle did the sprint and I got some good photos.


No comments: