Wednesday, January 1, 2014

No more running - taking up a new sport - paddling an Ocean Surfski

So I've been grounded from running - severe patellofemoral osteoarthritis  of my right knee. An MRI has confirmed, bone on bone, no more Ironman races. Really disappointed, I was so looking foreward to racing Ironman Melbourne this year

Still coming to terms with this - though I am hoping that I will be able to race some shorter distances

Decided to do something left field and take up ocean surfskiing. Thought about an sea kayak, but ended up with a surfski

I went for a test paddle a couple of weeks ago with Mark from Expedition Kayaks on Botany Bay with a good NE'er blowing. Touchy craft. This is a great service they offer. Basically an hour and a half lesson in a couple of different skis, for no cost!

I tried the Think Ezy and the Epic V10 sports

Then I went for another test paddle with Owen as well on a perfectly still day


Short version of a long story - went with the V10 sport. It will stretch me to start, but then should be ok (I hope)

Today is my first solo paddle. On the Pittwater. Somewhere I am not familiar with, and of course I turned up with flat batteries in my camera.  There's lesson number 1

It was a great paddle, loved it, though whenever a boat passed, I was very unstable.

Finished with a smile on my face :) 


No comments: