Friday, November 14, 2014

End of another year: Go for a paddle

Well it's the end of another year.

I checked out my work diary and realised that I could take the day off.

The forecast for today is hot northerly winds and blue sky so it was out for an early morning paddle in the entrance of Lake Illawarra. You can often get some great little waves coming through here which are perfect for a 2-300 metre run.

Today was no exception, though they had a tendency to get steep as they stood up against an outgoing tide. Made for some fun.
Getting ready for a good time

I have not used the GoPro much lately so I decided to take it as well.

A few times I got quite a bit of air paddling out through the waves, a few times smacked in the mouth by the waves. Each time this happened I hoped the water cleared from my eyes before the next one hit!







Heading out through the waves. 
I picked up some great runners and had a ball. Most of the time I was out I was by myself, with just the fishermen on the breakwater as spectators. Eventually I was joined by a couple of SUPs but I was pretty much spent by then.




The Thursday evening paddles in the wind and waves of Botany Bay are starting to show in my confidence and skill in the bump and slop. Still a long way to go, but I'm definitely improving


Go for it. 
The paddle back (about 1.8km) was still into the outgoing tide but it was peaceful and relaxing as I just picked a rhythm and enjoyed my surrounds.

All in all a great way to finish another year. Birthday tomorrow :)

No comments: